No Eggs, No problem!
I find that one of the hardest things about becoming vegan is actually giving up eggs. You know there are healthy milk substitutes, butter, and even cheese….but what is going to replace my morning veggie omelettes???!!! To be honest, its been hard to find a tofu scramble recipe that I actually love and this one is it. Thank you Minimalist Baker – Amazing recipe, so much so, that I just had to share it. I often make mine with Spinach which also tastes amazing and definitely add some Daiya vegan cheese on there to give a little extra deliciousness.
See details below and for full print out recipe, visit minimalistbaker.com/southwest-tofu-scramble
Photos and recipe by Minimalist Baker
And NO fancy methods
You guys are going to LOVE this scramble. It’s
Loaded with veggies
Packed with protein
And seriously simple
This is the perfect breakfast or brunch even if you only have 20 minutes to spend on food in the morning. Simply press your tofu the night before so it’s ready to add to your veggies and sauce! It doesn’t get much easier than that.
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu
- Olive oil
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups kale, loosely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
- Hot Sauce
- Breakfast potatoes, toast, and/or fruit
- Pat tofu dry and roll in a clean, absorbent towel with something heavy on top, such as a cast iron skillet, for 15 minutes.
- While tofu is draining, prepare sauce by adding dry spices to a small bowl and adding enough water to make a pourable sauce. Set aside.
- Prep veggies and warm a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp olive oil and the onion and red pepper. Season with a pinch each salt and pepper and stir. Cook until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add kale, season with a bit more salt and pepper, and cover to steam for 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, unwrap tofu and use a fork to crumble into bite-sized pieces.
- Use a spatula to move the veggies to one side of the pan and add tofu. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add sauce, pouring it mostly over the tofu and a little over the veggies. Stir immediately, evenly distributing the sauce. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until tofu is slightly browned.
- Serve immediately with the breakfast potatoes, toast or fruit. I like to add more flavor with salsa, hot sauce and/or fresh cilantro. Serves 2.